Talk Therapy With Vera
I spend a little bit of time writing my thoughts and sharing content that I think will be helpful to those that visit my site. I hope you find these content pieces interesting
April 20th - 2 min read
Talk Therapy Blog
Essential List for Depression & Anxiety
Especially during the COVID-19, more people begin to notice their mental state is affected. I have been working with clients who have depression and anxiety symptoms for numerous years. They don’t necessarily have a diagnosis, but sometimes they don’t know what triggers their symptoms either. Often depression and anxiety go hand in hand together.
Warning signs to watch out for:
- Do you notice any difficulties in your sleeping pattern?
- Has your mood been like a roller coaster ride?
- Do you feel consistent of hopeless and worthless?
- Are you crying more often than usual?
- Are you eating less/more?
- Do you have a lack of concentration/decision making?
- Are you feeling restlessness, irritability or on edge?
- Do you have a lack of motivation/interest?
- Do you notice a decrease in energy?
- Do you have thoughts of suicide?
- Do you experience the following physical symptoms: muscle tension, stomach cramps, difficulty in breathing, light headed, or heart palpitation?
- Do you worry more than usual?
Tips on how to manage your symptoms
- Exercise – whether it’s walking or follow IG workout accounts
- Deep breathing – I found YouTube videos helpful as they guide you on how to breathe properly
- Eat nutritious food – even if you don’t feel like eating, I would suggest having Ensure/Booster shakes
- Acknowledge your feelings and thoughts – It’s okay to feel this way
- Do you have friends/family that you can reach out to. If they are not available, then please contact your local crisis support line . (I posted some mental health resources below.)
- Seek professional support – Family Doctor, Counsellor/Psychotherapist, Psychiatrist
- Journaling – express your feelings and thoughts in writing
- Schedule an activity every day that you used to enjoy, such as: knitting; arts and crafts; reading